Sunday 1 May 2011

My Morning Jacket, Undecided Song

In anticipation of the soon to be released new My Morning Jacket album Circuital I’ve been listening to their back catalogue a lot over the last week. Starting with their reverb drenched lo-fi barn recording debut The Tennessee Fire. Since then the bands sound has progressed a lot over the years to more full on rock, prog, R&B and funk. Their last album Evil Urges was an eclectic mix of everything. When I say eclectic I’m being kind as what I really mean is an unfocused mess. It has its moments, like Touch Me I’m Going to Scream, Pt. 2 which is up there with my favourite My Morning Jacket songs. But it also has my worst The Librarian which is an acoustic song about fancying a sexy librarian. Jim James has a great voice but has never been one to write great lyrics on a regular basis, and if he has then they've usually been disguised with reverb. The vocals on The Librarian is free from reverb so there's no hiding how bad the lyrics are. Then there is the track that most divides My Morning Jacket fans Highly Suspicious, with its one chord electronic 80s sounding funk, robot voiced chorus and lyrics about a peanut butter pudding surprise. I hated it at first, then saw them play it live and loved it. Yesterday I heard it for the first time in about a year and I'm still undecided if I like it or not.
What I am liking is the couple of songs that I’ve heard from the new album though.

Download My Morning Jacket - Highly Suspicious mp3 from here