Thursday 28 April 2011

Short Songs For The Three Day Week

The only good thing about this royal wedding that’s taken over the news for the last few weeks is that it’s a bank holiday. And what with the Easter Monday bank holiday its been a short three day working week. Got to love that.
So in honour of the short three day week I’ve chosen three short songs. You know as much as I like Godspeed You Black Emperor sometimes I just want to hear a song that gets the job done without any messing about.
The Minutemen trim off all the fat from most of their songs, so there’s many to chose from that end under a minute, but here’s one from their fourth album 3-Way Tie (For Last).
Download The Minutemen - Ack Ack Ack from here

Another great band well know for their short songs is Robert Pollard’s Guided By Voices. Sure its an obvious choice but I won’t be apologising for that. The song Hit from Alien Lanes is only twenty fours seconds long and it leaves me wanting more, so I often play it again.
Download Guided By Voices - Hit from here

Murdered By Death were a band who up until last year I’d heard of but never actually heard. Then I bought the brilliant alt.country southern gothic rock of Good Morning, Magpie and it turned out to be one of my favourite albums from last year. The short song Kentucky Bourbon is a perfect introduction to a record that’s soaked in whiskey.
Download Murdered By Death - Kentucky Bourbon from here