Tuesday 3 May 2011

Great Cover #3 Dark End of the Street

Yes I am one of those people who has gone through the whole of their iTunes music library and given a five star rating to the songs that I love. But I think that at the time I dished out the stars I must have been in a generous mood because on the My Top Rated play list there’s 2372 songs. So I’ve made another play list called The Best of the Top Rated Songs which I managed to whittle down to 967 songs. Still quite a few. If I played the whole play list from top to bottom it would take just over three days. I might have to make a Best of the Best of play list and this time be much more stricter with the cull. If in any doubt, its off the list.
There are some songs that will always make the cut without any thought at all. And some will be the same song by different artists. Such as Dark End of the Street.
It was written by Muscle Shoals songwriters Dan Penn and Chips Moman and originally recorded in 1967 by soul singer James Carr. It was the highlight of Carr’s career and he didn’t get close to that successes again, but one great moment of genius that leaves such a long lasting impression is better than none.
The Flying Burrito Brothers version that came out on their 1969 album The Gilded Palace of Sin is the only version that I’ve heard that rivals the original. Infact I think their countrified rock version with Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman’s vocals singing in tandem might well be just as good as the original.

DL The Flying Burrito Brothers: Dark End of the Street mp3 from here