Saturday 7 May 2011

Just Enough Jazz For Me Thanks

I think that most people who are into music have read a magazine with an 'essential must hear before you die' type album list, gone out and bought something on it and in hindsight wish they hadn’t. I’ve done it with Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Blue Train by John Coltrane. Both of which I turned off half the way through and then gave another go a few days later and has never been played since. I tried to get into jazz and failed as I just found the squawking trumpet irritating and the songs indistinguishable from one another. Philistine you might say, but sorry both albums left me stone cold. Maybe one day I will try again but for now I will give jazz music a miss thanks.
I may not be into pure jazz but I do like a jazz feel to music. Like the instrumental music that the Memphis three piece The City Champs play. With the use of drums, guitar and an organ they pull out a soul, jazz and funk vibe. The song Drippy perfectly illustrates this and is one of the stand out tracks from their latest album The Set Up.

Download or preview an mp3 of The City Champs - Drippy from here.