Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Deep Dark Woods - Hang Me, Oh Hang Me

About three years ago a bloke I used to work with suggested that I check out a Canadian band called The Deep Dark Woods. I said that I would do but only did so very half heartedly by means of looking at a few scratchy live recordings of gigs on Youtube. I couldn’t tell much from them so I put listening to the band properly on the back burner, and there they stayed up until a few days ago. Now I wish that I'd checked them out properly when they were first suggested them to me. I downloaded the album Hang Me, Oh Hang Me and after only one listen it struck a chord with me and I’ve subsequently ordered their other two albums from Amazon.
With a name like The Deep Dark Woods they can only be an alt-country type band, and they are. There’s some country rock sounding stuff and some darker slower material. To me they sound like The Black Heart Procession covering a Drive-By Truckers song, or vice versa.

Download or preview The Deep Dark Woods - They Won't Last Long mp3 from here.