Friday 3 June 2011

Otis Gibbs - Get Me Out Of Detroit

Otis Gibbs is a county/folk songwriter from Indiana. The first time that I was ever aware of him was when I saw him playing at What’s Cookin’ in Leytonstone. I only caught the last three or four songs but I heard enough to make me by his album Granpa Walked A Picket Line. As the title suggests Gibbs is somewhat of a politically left leaning activist. In the vain of Billy Bragg (who he’s toured with) and Steve Earle.
One of favourite songs of his is Get Me Out of Detroit from the album One Day Our Whispers. As the title suggests it’s not a homage to The Motor City but about a shity time there, getting stopped and stripped searched by the police, being bored stiff in a hotel room and wanting to get the hell out of the place.



Download Otis Gibbs - Get Me Out of Detroit from here.