Monday 7 March 2011

Love/Hate The Last Waltz

Over the weekend I watched the Martin Scorsesse directed film about The Band’s last concert.
I’ve seen The Last Waltz before and it was my first introduction to The Band’s music. But watching the film again I think I like and dislike it in about equal measures. Some of the performances are top draw, such as The Weight with The Staple Singers and Ronnie Hawkins singing the Bo Diddley song Who Do You Love. But some not so great. Out of all the great songs the could have played with Neil Young why play the CSNY song Helpless. It’s an alright song but The Band and Neil Young doing something more full on like Cinnamon Girl would’ve been so much better. And then there’s Neil Diamond. Yawn. Van Morrison was alright but even in 1976 I’m sure a maroon jumpsuit with sequins wasn’t a good look.
Also the film smacks of self-importance, no more so when all the cast come on stage at the end to sing Bob Dylan’s I Shall Be Realised. Oh and look there’s Ringo Starr on a drum kit and Ronnie Wood is strapping on a guitar. Look at us all on stage, we are the people who make music. We are music.
At the time punk rock was beginning to make noises.



Get The Band & The Staple Singers: The Weight Here