Sunday 13 March 2011

Lets Take Turns To Sing

It was this time last year when the band Alcoholic Faith Mission came under my radar. Who are Alcoholic Faith Mission? They sound like a whiskey guzzling psychobilly band from South Carolina. Well no, they’re a Danish (the only Danish band I know) band who play beautiful folk/digi-folk/ambient/elements-of-post-rock/indie-pop type music.
A year on and they’re still buzzing around my radar. Infact so much so that in the last year the song Nut In The Eye from the album 421 Wythe Avenue is the most played song on my iTunes. What do I like about it so much? Well for one thing I would say that it’s one of my favourite Male/Female vocal combination on any song. I say combination because it certainly isn’t a duet. They don’t sing to each other. In the outro they repeatedly take turns to sing the line:
‘Complacent by the choices everyone is making for me, evidently I’m sinking deeper, deeper’
I would put it up there with the duet of Some Velvet Morning by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood. Though I wouldn’t really call that a duet as it sounds like two completely different songs cut and pasted together.

Get Alcoholic Faith Mission: Nut In The Eye mp3 Here

One song that certainly is a duet is Alone In The Makeup Room by Cambridge’s finest and now sadly defunct The Broken Family Band (yes I know that Pink Floyd were formed in Cambridge, sure they had some good songs and they sold a few records but I would say they are the second best band from Cambridge).
It’s a dirty slagging match between two ex lovers. As you can see from the first line in the song:
‘I want you to die with my hands round your throat, or with me in the castle and you in the moat and everyone you know stood around laughing.’

Get The Broken Family Band: Alone In The Makeup Room mp3 Here