Wednesday 2 March 2011

Get Crazy With The Cheese Wiz

Since listening to last weeks NPR Music: All Things Considered Podcast about music in the 90s I’ve been going back to some records from that decade. Specifically ones that I haven’t heard for a while. Now I’m not really one for nostalgia, when I listen to music that I loved in my formative years it isn’t because I try to remember a time back when. I listen to it because it’s good music. Though sometimes when hearing a certain song I can’t help thinking about the a person or party or night out that it reminds me of. Though the memory might not always be a good one as documentation of life in songs means some songs are hard to listen to and tainted.
One song picked on the podcast as the anthem of the decade was Loser by Beck, and if I’m pushed to choose a song that defines that period in time then I can’t look much further than the song with slide guitar riff, sitar, hip hop brake beat drums with nonsensical lyrics ‘don't believe everything that you breathe you get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve’ and the most catchiest of choruses.
The album Mellow Gold that Loser is from is nowhere near as good as the follow up Odelay but going back to it over the last few days as well as the song Beercan there’s realised that there’s so many other great songs that I haven’t heard in years.



Beck: Pay No Mind (Snoozer) Here