Friday 11 March 2011

The Black Angels Back In Form

Some albums take a while to get into, the first couple of listens just wash over. Nothing stands out then maybe on the third or fourth listen some of it sticks and the next few listens fill in the gaps. That’s all fine, but it’s so much more gratifying when on first listen you know you like it. When on second listen you already recognise the songs. The picture has been painted and it’s imprinted in your head.
In 2006 it only took me one listen of Austin Texas band The Black Angels (named after the violin screech of a song that everyone skips on The Velvet Underground’s first album) debut album Passover to realise it would be one of my top records of the year. It’s a record of dark psychedelic drone filled with guitar hooks and menacing vocals.



Then in 2008 came Directions To See A Ghost. The first listen blew over me. I thought that maybe the second or third will catch me, but no. the fourth listen. Nothing. I just couldn’t get into it. There was a more dense drone and the sound was darker but the hooks were gone. The sixteen minute closer Snake In The Grass is such a struggle to get through I think I only managed it once.
This week I’ve been listening to The Black Angels album Phosphene Dream. Yes I know it came out last year but with my disappointment of their second album I was in no rush to get it. Straight away the first song Bad Vibrations signalled a return to form, and the songs Sunday Afternoon and Telephone are very much 13th floor elevator influenced. Well they been Rocky Erickson's backing band for some shows. I might not go back to this record as much as I do with Passover but I’m certainly glad I got around to hearing it.

Get The Black Angels: Bad Vibrations mp3 Here