Saturday 2 July 2011

Liverpool's Best Band

I don’t own a lot of music that comes from the Merseyside area. I had an Echo &The Bunnymen album on cassette but that’s long gone. There was a whole sleuth of Brit-Pop bands in the nineties such as The Boo Radleys, Cast, The Lighting Seeds and Space. Cast had a few good singles but I didn’t care for the others at all.
Half Man Half Biscuit, The Coral and Clinic are alright but I’ve never really got too deep into their music.
The Zutons and The Wombats don’t interest me. As for A Flock of Seagulls and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, no thanks.
There’s some other band that I’ve forgot to mention. Some band from the sixties… Gerry & the Pacemakers, no. Oh yes of course, The Beatles. Yeah sure I can appreciate that they made some great music but the only songs that I have are a few that I ripped from an old flatmates CD.
My favourite band from around the Liverpool area are unlike all of the above. They’re a psych-space-kraut rock band called Mugstar. If you’re into that sort of thing then you won’t be disappointed my Mugstar. Their latest album Lime is very good, but I would start with Technical Knowledge As A Weapon. Its full of big riffs and freakouts, and ends with a thirteen minute mammoth of a song called Faurklausundbo.
I’ve yet to see them live but will make sure that I do the next time they play in London.

Download an mp3 of the song Ouroboror from Technical Knowledge As A Weapon here.