Friday 22 July 2011

Getting Into Springsteen (But Not The Live Show)

For years I only ever though of Bruce Springsteen as some old overblown stadium rocker. As a kid growing up in the 80s I always used to hear him on the radio, mainly the big singles from Born In The U.S.A. That album was made for the radio, its so compressed and everything is up loud in the mix with no subtlety. Plus its got them massive shouty choruses.
Then about three or four years ago I picked up a copy of The River in the sales. I liked it but like almost all double albums it would be better if it was trimmed down to one really decent albums with no fillers. I soon picked up the stripped down acoustic Nebraska and the breakthrough album Born To Run, both good but it wasn’t until I heard Darkness on the Edge of Town that I really appreciated Springsteen. Then I got Born In The U.S.A which I liked more than I thought I would.

Although I now have and like a fair amount of his work I wouldn’t call myself a Bruce Springsteen fan as such. I will listen to him every so often but I’ve no intention of ever seeing him live as a three hour set in an arena would just be too much to bare.
Everything you need to know about the Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band live show is in the 2009 Super Bowl half time show. It had all the theatrics of a three hour set condensed into twelve minutes.
In the first minute he’s already thrown his guitar in the air, made a preaching speech to the camera telling the people at home to ‘step away from the guacamole, put the chicken fingers down and turn the volume up,' jumped onto a piano, jumped down again and is lying back while down on his knees.
In the four songs that follow all the boxes are ticket.
High fiving the front row. Holding the microphone to the crowd so they can sing. Sliding on knees. Air Punching. Members of the band all singing the chorus into one microphone. Fireworks. Playing back to back with the lead guitarist. Big rock and roll ending.
You feel knackered just watching it.



Great for stadium rock and the half time show but I would prefer to watch the basics of a Neil Young & Crazy Horse show.
So I guess I do still think of Springsteen as an old overblown stadium rocker, but with good songs.