Friday 18 February 2011

Western Skyline

The last couple of weeks I’ve been trawling through a boxset of the HBO series Deadwood (yes that’s the bloke out of Lovejoy don’t you know). At the back end of last year I spent a good solid month on the Xbox playing Red Dead Redemption (yes that's righ,t it's like Grand Theft Auto with horses). This month I hope to see the Cohen brothers remake of the film True Grit. I guess I’m going through a wild west phase.
But you got to love a western, and the music is always great (well apart from that Jon Bon Jovi song in Young Guns). My favourite film soundtrack has to be the one that Neil Young did for the Jim Jarmusch western Dead Man. Young's trusty black Gibson guitar crackles away menacingly throughout.



Staying on the western theme, I've also been getting into the self-titled debut album from the Italian band Guano Padano. It’s a record heavily influenced by their fellow countryman Ennio Morricone spaghetti western film scores, mixed in with Tex-Mex Americana and some surf Guitar.



Guano Padano: El Divino mp3 Here